A blog containing things related to recorded music, live music events, and/or noncommercial radio. I am alternately a horrid old grouch and a starry-eyed rabid fanperson. I am also currently on musical semi-hiatus.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

XX Merge: Cat's Cradle, Wednesday 22 July 2009

Huge truckloads of electrons have been shifted around to cover this event, so I won't pretend to have any sort of insights into what happened here that others have not covered more knowledgeably, in more depth, in a more timely fashion, and even with pictures.

For my friends who care (both of you), here are some brief reflections:

Wednesday

Pure - had not played together in what, 18 years? Strong showing.

Lou Barlow - quietly rad, and about to go to Japan with Dinosaur Jr. Played a lot of new stuff, which was an unusual tactic for the event as a whole.

Oakley Hall - I had heard some songs and liked them, but was completely underwhelmed by the live show, so much so that I went to hang out in the hall.

The Clientele - Brought my attention right back with their awesomeness. I liked everything they played, which has not always been my experience with The Clientele.

The Magnetic Fields - I have mixed feelings about this set, the only one the band is playing in 2009 at all, they said. I do think it's remarkable that they even agreed to do it, having moved from Merge to Nonesuch some years ago and, as I understand it, happily foresworn the Cradle-sized dingy small venues that, along with college radio, made their draw what it is. It was a shorter selection of the very same material, with, for the most part, the very same arrangements, I've heard at their last several big theater shows, and Stephin looked excruciatingly miserable because the crowd wouldn't stop woo-ing. (Yes, this sucked, but to be fair, their big theater shows have plenty of woo-ers, too.) Then, as if to validate the band's break with small dinginess, a giant outdoor cockroach ran amok on-stage, sending Claudia and Shirley into shrieks and even knocking Sam's composure. It did not reach Stephin's end of the stage, perhaps frozen to death on the way, and he darkly emphasized "dive bar" and "how can you live in a place like this" in "Papa Was a Rodeo."

(Note: Claudia stayed to see the shows for the whole rest of the long birthday party weekend and was warm and delightful to everyone who spoke to her. I think she is a Great Lady.)

The Rosebuds - Super. Almost completely eschewed chatter between songs. I can't say I mind, but they played like people on a mission, which seemed a little out of character. Then everybody gamely sang the chorus of "Nice Fox," which always makes me choke up a little.

Conor Oberst & the Mystic Valley Band - I hadn't heard any of Conor's new project. I'm not a fan of his generally, and the new material, it turns out, is pretty much ironic Americana/country music, with outfits and trucker hats. I don't like irony in my country music. This set just felt awkwardly tacked on, possibly because the Conor Oberst package -- tour bus, handler, entourage -- one might argue maybe doesn't quite fit on Merge. I sat it out on the benches next to the sound board.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home